The first 10 minutes of the workday can influence how productive you will be the remainder of the day. Murray Newlands of Inc. offers the following suggestions of what to do as soon as you arrive in the office:
- Greet your team. A friendly “hello” will make the work environment more pleasant for everybody.
- Make yourself comfortable and organize your workspace. Adjust the lighting and your chair, and make sure items you require are within reach.
- Reflect upon what you want to accomplish by the end of the day. Consider the status of your present projects, and what needs to be done to achieve your goals.
- Prioritize tasks, creating a realistic hierarchy.
- Analyze potential challenges that may unfold during the day, and visualize success.
- Strategically check email, initially addressing only top priority concerns.
- Avoid distractions such as low-priority calls, chatty co-workers and social media, which can push you off track during the first 10 minutes of the day.